~EXCEED ALL EXPECTATIONS & BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION~

~EXCEED ALL EXPECTATIONS & BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION~
"It ain't braggin' if you can do it." ~Muhammad Ali~

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Day 4 of this Banana-Fruitastic, F'n Diet

Training/Diet Log
Saturday 6/21/08

730am
1scoop primal defense
815am
3 cups of cantaloupe
9am NSC Saturday WOD(good to see everyone! I miss my Topsfield peeps.)
1015am
3 bananas

1045am
O-Lifting
3x5 snatch at 70% of max lift =135# (during 2nd set I failed reps 3 and 5 so I did 7 total to make up for it. During 3rd set I failed rep 4 so I did 6 total reps)
1x5 split jerk at 70% =160#
2x3 split jerk at 85% =195#
2x2 split jerk at 95% =215# failed 2nd rep of both sets
1x1 split jerk at 103% =235# failed attempt
all these weights were a rough estimations of my max lifts. my max snatch is 185#, my max split jerk is 245#, but that was last summer and more currently I've done 225#. I just need to o-lift more regularly to get the weights back up.
my body weight during this o-lifting session was 158#, last summer I was fluctuating between 178# and 184#
Believe me when my body gives me the ok to start eating more and add things back into my diet I will be getting my body weight back up to hopefully somewhere in the 170s. But I'm finding that it hasn't been necessary to maintaining my strength which is pretty cool. It goes against what alot of people either think, or would recommend as a coach. My recommendation is eat well (don't waste your money on supplements) and pick up heavy shit as often as your body will allow, while maintaining good form/mechanics of course.
I don't attribute my strength loss in my o-lifts to my body weight dropping so much, I truly believe it has to do with the lack of my working on my lifts and my not picking up heavy shit more often. Like I said before my squatting has been the most consistent part of my training and that has remained strong. Also I have been maintaining 2-3 metcon wods a week which has been my plan and they have maintained pretty well. 2 squat days, 2-3 metcons, and at least one day of o-lifting. I haven't been able to maintain the o-lifting. I think I will cut back a metcon day to o-lift more.
I don't know how many people really care to know this stuff, or want to know about what's going on with my health right now. All I know is it has been incredibly frustrating and I have found that bloggin about it has been a good avenue for me to vent and try to keep a positive outlook on the whole thing. So for those that do read and maybe care, thank you for reading and for your ongoing support. I actually hope that me talking about what I'm dealing with might help someone else deal with a similar situation, whether it's someone reading this themselves or someone you may know who lives with colitis or crohn's or some form of IBD. Thanks again for reading.

1230pm
1 banana, bowl of grapes and cherries
130pm
1 scoop primal defense

330pm
1 pair, 1 banana, 4 soaked dates
530pm
Bowl of steamed spaghetti squash with cooked eggplant and tomato sauce(mixed in blender)

this isn't quite following the diet because of the cooked eggplant and sauce which contains onions, garlic and salt which are supposedly irritants for my situation, so I'm taking my best shot at it by blending it. fingers crossed....

1 comment:

Kim said...

So I saw the link to the trainers pages through Joe’s daily WOD page. As a nurse most people assume my advice will be to “take this pill” followed by “and these other three to counteract the side effects of the first”. It’s so easy (and often ineffective) to just be popping pills. While it’s been frustrating and difficult to follow this new diet you’ve found, I believe you’ll see much more effective and longer lasting results. You’re doing the right thing! Only thing that I will say… you are eating a shit load of bananas, which equals a shit load of potassium. Hopefully you’re drinking a lot of water to help your kidneys flush some of that out. Don’t become hyperkalemic! OK, ok, I’ll shut up the nurse part of me. For now ☺

You are the one that told me about the community that crossfit makes, and I’m sure sharing what you’re going through is helpful to many of us at NSCF. I’d bet more people than you know have had health or other problems that threaten their fitness, and your dedication is a great example of how to work through it. Personally, I went through all the tests for colitis/crohns at 17 (yes, colonoscopy, too), and was told they have no answers for me... at 24 I was diagnosed with SVT and can honestly said I’ve “flat lined” on my EKG twice... and this past Thursday I dislocated a rib and it hurts to breathe and move.

So, stay with it despite your frustration! Things will get better!