~EXCEED ALL EXPECTATIONS & BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION~

~EXCEED ALL EXPECTATIONS & BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION~
"It ain't braggin' if you can do it." ~Muhammad Ali~

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Rap Update! Very Good Stuff My Friend

Hey Greg!
It's been a couple of weeks and I thought I would give you an update on my training and race progress. I have been continuing to hit new personal bests (PB) on my training rides. A few weeks ago, I mentioned the 30 mile ride that I did in 1:34:00. I was able to equal that time again last week. The following day, I rode a 24 mile course that I used to do in about 1:20:00 typically, with a 1:17:00 PB. I did that at 1:18:00 last week during my preparation for the Mt. Ascutney Hillclimb.
The Mt. Ascutney Hillclimb (Vermont) is exactly half of Mt. Washington, at 3.7 miles up. The grades are actually a bit steeper, averaging just over 12% with some 17-19% sections. Typical times for me in the past were 44-45 min for this climb. I was able to reach a PB of 42 min this past Saturday, even in the hot humid conditions! I am now more motivated to improve as that pace is only a few minutes off making a division at Mt. Washington called "Top Notch". The Top Notch division requires the rider to be capable of a time 1:20 or less for the climb and also allows you to start with the Pros!
Last night, I took off on my 24 mile course as I was worried about T-storms and decided to keep it short. I felt good and thought I should push for a PB. The result was great, hitting a 1:15:30, a minute and a half faster than my PB of 1:17:00.
And the best thing is I don't feel tired---I feel like I could go out tonight and ride hard again! Thanks to the workouts at the gym, I feel stronger every week and I am making progress instead of getting stuck on plateaus.
Thanks again for making me challenge myself and I'll see you at the gym!--Joe Rap


Training Log

Monday 7/21/08
5 rounds
5 clean and jerks(split) 185# jerks felt real strong, was a little surprised.
15 pullups (chest to bar)
15 pushups
5 ring dips
27:34 made this up late the night before. I liked it!

Tuesday 7/22/08
NSC WOD
5 rounds
20 single arm squat snatches 25# DB
200m run
100 jump rope
don't know my time. I did 4 rounds focusing heavily on my left arm snatches where I struggle mightily! Dave helped me alot with just a couple pointers. Very appreciated, and well served, as the better I get at my weaknesses the better I can help the members, which is what it's all about :) Thanks Big Boy, I mean, Dave!

Wednesday 7/23/08
5x3 cleans
2x3x 185# felt very strong
3x3x 205# also felt very good
2min rest between sets

5x3 press
5x3x 125# real happy with this because about a month ago the last time we did the "total" my max press was 125# and was a big time struggle as it also was in April. In December it was at 145-150# so it looks like I'm heading back up there. Cool.

No comments: