~EXCEED ALL EXPECTATIONS & BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION~

~EXCEED ALL EXPECTATIONS & BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION~
"It ain't braggin' if you can do it." ~Muhammad Ali~

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Olympic Feeling

I don't know how many of you care about the Olympics, I can't say I'm one to get into them too much recently, especially when they can be half way around the world and scheduling to watch an event is enough work on its own. But many amazing stories, that will often times go beyond sport, emerge from the Olympic Games as something we remember, always. Like I said, not necessarily remembered for world records, but for something human; a feeling, an emotion that all of us around the world will watch and share the same feeling despite our differences in government, religion, etc. I'm sure as you're reading this some of you are already thinking of at least one story that touched you. From athletes struggling through physical pain and adversity to win the gold for their team and country the way Kerri Strug did in 1996, when she stuck her dismount on the vault, with an ankle she could barely walk on. You saw the tears in her eyes, the smile on her face, and you knew they were not tears of pain, even as she stood there on one leg, but they were tears of elation for what she had just accomplished in putting her gymnastics team and country in position to take home the gold. I remember watching that, and though I was young, I knew.... I knew what I was watching, I could feel it. I didn't have to know much of anything about gymnastics, I just had to be human, and in the moment with what that young woman had just done. She displayed great courage and she was proud, as were her teammates, as were all of us watching at home and in the arena. This is just one example of many, but one that I remember personally so well, as the 1992 and 1996 Summer Olympic Games were the two that I watched most closely. Another example of heroism in the Olympic Games for issues of politics and race, is Jesse Owens an African-American running in Berlin in 1936 with Adolf Hitler in the stands. Owens, 22 years old, won four gold medals and broke the Olympic record for the 200m sprint. The Germans had previously been the dominant athletes in track and field events and were favorites on their home court.
Sports is the only true "Reality TV" there is today. It's real drama, real ups and real downs. As Red Sox fans we know this all too well, anyway, good to be on the upside as of the past few years. Cubs fans... we'll see. But I digress a bit here. Sports aren't really the most wonderful thing to watch because your team wins, though a great feeling, there is so much more that sports have to offer on many human levels of emotion; pride, courage, sacrifice, despair, elation - just to name a few. Good or bad all these dramas we watch unfold in sports can and will be appreciated. It's funny, I sat down and started writing this, not expecting it to be all this rambling, as I fully admit, I'm not the best writer I will never claim to be, but all in all I hope you hear what I'm saying. What I wrote here stemmed from a Visa Gold commercial for the 2008 Olympics I have seen many times. For whatever reason the commercial popped into my mind and I wanted to share. The commercial I'm referring to is the one about Derek Redmond from the 1992 Summer Olympics. I'm sure a number of you have seen it, he is running the 400m and pulls up lame about half way through with a hamstring injury. And you know, I don't really need to say anymore about it. Watch and let it speak to you. See what you feel. If you feel nothing then I recommend getting that chest of yours examined to see if it's got any heart. I will admit that the first time I saw it, and gave it my full attention and allowed myself to be there, I got more than chills, my eyes definitely welled up with tears. I still get chills when I see it now. They're the same chills I get when I see the clip of the 1980 US Hockey team jumping around on the ice after defeating the USSR Hockey team, it's just tied to a different story with different emotions, but they all remain human.

This is the commercial.
These are the reasons you and I should pay closer attention to the Olympics. Remember I admit I don't get into it so much anymore either. I'm right there with yah ;) I'm going to make more of an effort this time around.


This shows more of the race and interviews.


This one shows the race as broadcast and an interview with his father about 2min in. Watch this one to see the full interatction between Derek Redmond and his father. This camera is on Derek from start to finish.


Now for some impressive running. Here is my all-time favorite sprinter Michael Johnson and one reason why I'm not into the Olympics so much anymore. He isn't in them! I recommend youtubing more of Michael Johnson especially his 200m WR at the '96 Olympics.



Training Log

Sunday 7/27/08
NSC WOD
1 mile run
5 Rounds
20 double unders
10 burpees
total time: 12:25
mile time: 5:56

Monday 7/28/08
NSC WOD
3 rounds
21 kb swings 70#
15 ohs 95#
21 box jumps 20"
10:07

Tuesday 7/29/08
NSC WOD
5 rounds
15 burpees
12 pullups
9 thrusters 135#
17:30

No comments: