~EXCEED ALL EXPECTATIONS & BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION~

~EXCEED ALL EXPECTATIONS & BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION~
"It ain't braggin' if you can do it." ~Muhammad Ali~

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Steve Prefontaine ("Pre"): The Ultimate Competitor



"During his brief 24-year life-span, Steve Prefontaine grew from hometown hero(Coos Bay, Oregon), to record-setting college phenomenon(University of Oregon), to internationally acclaimed track star(1972 Olypmics, Munich). In a similar span of years since his death in 1975, Pre has become the stuff of enduring legend.
His rare combination of talent, discipline, determination, and star-quality with a human touch made Pre the idol of those he called "his people" — the devoted fans who came to watch him run and entered into the performance with roars of encouragement, "Go Pre!"
'

Personal Records
1,500 meters, 3:38.1, 28 June 1973, Helsinki, Finland

2,000 meters, 5:01.4, 9 May 1975, Coos Bay, Oregon

3,000 meters, 7:42.6, 2 July 1974, Milan, Italy

5,000 meters, 13:21.87, 26 June 1974, Helsinki, Finland

5,000 meters (H.S.), 13:39.6, 1969
10,000 meters, 27:43.6, 27 April 1974, Eugene, Oregon

1 mile, 3:54.6, 20 June 1973, Eugene, Oregon

2 miles, 8:18.29, 18 July 1974

3 miles, 12:51.4, 8 June 1974, Eugene, Oregon

6 miles, 26:51.8, 27 April 1974

Pre Quotes
"How does a kid from Coos Bay, with one leg longer than the other win races? All my life people have been telling me, 'You're too small Pre', 'You're not fast enough Pre', 'Give up your foolish dream Steve'. But they forgot something, I HAVE TO WIN."

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. Nobody is going to win a 5,000 meter race after running an easy 2 miles. Not with me. If I lose forcing the pace all the way, well, at least I can live with myself."

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."

"I'm going to work so that it's a pure guts race at the end, and if it is, I am the only one who can win it."

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."
"Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative."

"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement." (Does this one sound familiar or relate to any other crossfitters out there?)



Training Log
5/17/08

Saturday's NSC Team WOD
Partnered with Bill Levacchia (our resident marathoner)
9 rounds for me and Bill was on his 10th (great work Bill!)

5x5 Back Squat 250#

Snatch practice up to 175#

No comments: