~EXCEED ALL EXPECTATIONS & BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION~

~EXCEED ALL EXPECTATIONS & BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION~
"It ain't braggin' if you can do it." ~Muhammad Ali~

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Testimonial from a 61 year old man/ aka Tommy D/ aka my Dad

This is something my dad wrote a few months ago. It's a testimonial from a 61 year old for the coaching and training we do at North Shore CrossFit. Thought I'd share.

It is almost 2 years ago that I decided at age 59 that it was time again for me to get myself into good physical condition. I had experienced some lower back problems from moving furniture several years ago and it essentially disabled me enough that I stopped working out and playing sports. I finally found a good chiropractor and he got my back problem corrected and now it was time to get back into shape.
I was looking for a personal trainer that could ease me back into shape with out my hurting myself and David Picardy at North Shore CrossFit was exactly what I was looking for in a coach.
It was perfect! The CrossFit concept got my strength, cardio, and reflexes back into "playing" shape..even at my age!
I lost some weight while adding muscle size and tone to my body. I worked out about 3 to 4 times a week. The beauty is I never got bored, it took only an hour for an intense workout, and the coaching was superb. It taught me things that I never learned in the gyms with cables and machines. My biceps are bigger and I haven't done a single curl in 2 years! Total body workouts! Period!
I'm now 61 and I am stronger and in better shape then I have been in over 10 years. My cholesterol count went from 205 to 165 and my ratio is now 3.7. My blood pressure is 115 over 70 and my last heart rate count was 50! All good stuff. No medication either.
And lastly, the camaraderie that I enjoy at CrossFit during these workouts with other members helps to inspire me to get even more enjoyment out of pushing myself to the max!
If your my age, then you too remember this is how we use to work out. You know, before the fitness industry went into machines and glorified "look at me" gyms.
I guarantee that you will move better and feel better then you have felt in years.


Training Log

Wednesday 8/20/08
(am)
ran 3.3 miles 25 mins
I did this same run back in March of 2007 in about 34 mins. I've done more than 1 mile once since then and that was only 2 miles. CrossFit works! And I did my best to POSE while running and I maintained a pretty good pace the whole way.
(pm)
Overhead Squats- haven't done these in over a month.
10 reps at 45#
5 reps at 95#
5 reps at 125#
5 reps at 135#
5 reps at 145#
5 reps at 155#
5 reps at 165#
3 reps at 175#
3 reps at 185#
1 rep at 195#
1 rep at 205# (previous max from 4/08, failed push press)
1 rep at 205# (good)
1 rep at 210# (good, new max)
1 rep at 215# (almost, mother f 'er)
Again, CrossFit works! You don't have to specialize and work on a specific thing to get better at it. Work on everything, your overall general fitness and skill-sets, and you'll continue to get better at everything.

No comments: